Sunday, February 18, 2007

week 7

Item 16
I think I understand what a wiki is now and how useful they can be as a way to share information. The fact that anyone can edit them seemed a little scary to me at first and I'm sure has led to problems in some cases, but as I browsed the recommended wikis I began to understand the power of such tools. Of course much of the information on a wiki is subjective and should be regarded only as one person's opinion but that doesn't make it less interesting, in fact, rather the opposite. A wiki created around an event such as a conference can be a great way to find out anything from the best seminars to attend to a good restaurant in the area.
The Saint Joseph's Library wiki had an enormous amount of information on it. I went to the taxes page and found tax forms to download, guides the library has ans FAQs. I also went to the pet page which also had a wide range of information from book reviews to local pet organization information.
The Princeton Library Book Lovers Wiki is basically a way to share book reviews, anyone can add a review so it is a great way to find a new author or book to read.
I visited the Library Success wiki and found it had a more formal feel. It is a wiki set up for librarians to share ways they are using technology in new ways in their libraries.

No comments: